At last “The voices of nature in Broward” have a platform for speaking in behalf of Broward native plants, wildlife, and natural areas. Prior to establishing this website and blog, the Friends of Natural Areas accomplished the following (mostly during 2016):
- Established the purpose of Friends of Natural Areas
- Proposed a comprehensive conservation plan for Broward natural areas
- Engaged Linda Briggs, Environmental Program Manager of Broward County Parks, and George Gann, Chief Conservation Strategist of the Institute of Regional Conservation to author the conservation plan
- Created a fiscal sponsorship with the Parks Foundation of Broward such that Friends of Natural Areas functions as a committee of the Foundation
- Broward County Parks submitted a $35,000 grant proposal to the Community Foundation of Broward for a writer for the conservation plan and a training program to remove invasive plants from Fern Forest
- Received two pledges of funds totaling $2,150 to support writing the conservation plan and removing invasive species from Broward Natural Areas
Look for upcoming news of who is helping and what they are doing for natural areas. Make a comment. We’d love to hear from you.